ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, New here. Am looking at buying , hopefully soon, and wonder about the Sportsman 300.

Are they a pig on fuel, being AWD?? Is overheating an issue? How about pulling? Oh, and I weigh 225 pounds. :)

The good, bad, and Ugly please.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
Something alittle Bigger....

Thier allgas eaters...I'd like to see you on something alittle bigger..say a 400 to 500...they all pull good.Never see problems with cooling except when guys clog the radaitor and grills up...with your size you won't be comfortable on a 300....I'd go with the sportsman 400 .Muddie50

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thier allgas eaters...I'd like to see you on something alittle bigger..say a 400 to 500...they all pull good.Never see problems with cooling except when guys clog the radaitor and grills up...with your size you won't be comfortable on a 300....I'd go with the sportsman 400 .Muddie50
The dealer recommends the 400 also, said I would not be happy with a 300.

So, any issues with the AWD on-off?

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had no issues with the awd it works pretty awsome..I mean i'd love to have awd all the time, but the system works when the back wheels start to spin and then the ronts kick in...you can turn them off of course, but i've done some serious trail and mudd riding and the system works great....if you can afford it go with the 400....i was going to get the 400 and i'm 200 lbs and the dealer said get that 500 if will grow into you and you'll need the extra power and he was right....my next is going to be the polaris 800 or 850...Muddie49:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had no issues with the awd it works pretty awsome..I mean i'd love to have awd all the time, but the system works when the back wheels start to spin and then the ronts kick in...you can turn them off of course, but i've done some serious trail and mudd riding and the system works great....if you can afford it go with the 400....i was going to get the 400 and i'm 200 lbs and the dealer said get that 500 if will grow into you and you'll need the extra power and he was right....my next is going to be the polaris 800 or 850...Muddie49:D

Thanks alot. I told the dealer what I am doing with it, trail riding, and soime small chores, nothing too big though. He said the 400 will fit the bill nicely.

Do you have bigger pics of yours?

Did you buy yours with the steel wheels, or take the aluminum ones?

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
When i bought the 500 HO it had silver steel wheels on it,I did some mods on it when it was a month old...i put a 2 inch lift kit on it and added the 14 inch wheels and 26 inch tires.i'm useing the 489's ats which are great tires...I have them on at the momment cause they handle alot better when i'm off the trails and away from the mudd..its my all season tires and i want to say the Maxxis zillas for later in the year and the snow.I also painted my silver wheels,i did'nt like them and it looked alot nicer with black wheels...so i've changed a few things..included the racks and a new air filter system its been a challenge.Muddie49

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's the latiest...i put the black wheels on with the AT 489's, i love them tires and they handle alot better on smooth surfaces then the Maxxis zillas...I'm saving the Zillas for sloppy rides..:laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the latiest...i put the black wheels on with the AT 489's, i love them tires and they handle alot better on smooth surfaces then the Maxxis zillas...I'm saving the Zillas for sloppy rides..:laugh:

Wow!! Thanks. SO, in your opinion, are the factory aluminum wheels up to the task, trails, etc? Or should I just get the steel ones, and get a different set later on?

Does the lift you put in also work on the 400 Sportsman??

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 400 Xplorer and it is a great bike if you do not need the power and you don't want to go crazy in the mud. I changed the tires on it now and put some bear claws on it and it is under powered now. If you plan on keeping the bike for a long time i would definately get into the 500. I bought my bike in 2001 and it has been a great bike but now that all the bikes are so bike and have high clearance, i am always getting hung up in somebody's rut.

I am currrious to know what kind of lift you put on your bike and if you put it on yourself, was it fairly simple to do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well these alumi wheels are not factory their ITP's...the wheels and tires&Wheels that come stock are great tires...i just wanted something more when i went to the mud holes as for riding trails and smooth areas...I put the At 489's on...smoother ride...remeber these Ziila's have 4 inch knobs on them...their for some serious sloppy rides..as for the lift kit...its a 2 inch lift and it was'nt hard to do at all...try the high lifter kits....their the best.....Mudide49

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well these alumi wheels are not factory their ITP's...the wheels and tires&Wheels that come stock are great tires...i just wanted something more when i went to the mud holes as for riding trails and smooth areas...I put the At 489's on...smoother ride...remeber these Ziila's have 4 inch knobs on them...their for some serious sloppy rides..as for the lift kit...its a 2 inch lift and it was'nt hard to do at all...try the high lifter kits....their the best.....Mudide49

Did you notice extra load of the bigger tires and lift?

Just for giggles, I priced out a Can Am Outlander 400, was $3K more than the Sportsman 400HO I priced out. Will be sticking with the Polaris for sure!!

:)

Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did notice a diiference with the tires..and lift...mostly in the steering in the front end and maybe alittle on my holeshot power,I've just changed my airbox with a K&N and took it out last night and the quad was surprisly snappy on the holeshot..with the stock tires also....I'm thinking about putting a new exhaust on it and maybe jetting the carb out maybe in mid summer...i want to get the most out of it, i can...or maybe leave it alone and just wait to buy abigger one...:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Took a new 400HO for a test ride yesterday, and it felt 'light on its feet'. May reconsider and go for a 500HO. Would of test drove one too, but had somewhere I had to be.

So, does the 500HO feel more firmly planted on the ground??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well...its heavier...:laugh: You'll have to ride one...it is planted more on the ground .Muddie49

1 - 14 of 14 Posts