ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP!!

I noticed on one of my last runs that there was a clicking/clunking sound coming from the front end at high speeds.
On first inspection i thought it was my u joints as they appear to be loose.
AFter looking more into it i noticed that the front yoke has lots of play in it. It appears my bearing and seal is gone. checked the fluid in the differential and there was none in it.

This concerns me because i'm not sure how long it has been dry, i tried adding some more demand drive sluid and it's pissing out the bottom of her where the yoke comes out.

I priced the front cap, bearing and seal for 140$ at my local dealer, but am concerned about if thats going to help or not.
The wheeler won't engage in 4 wheel drive. It says it's working, i'm not getting any blink codes, but my back tires are the only thing turning... please help!

I'm worried it was run too long dry and ruined my gears. should i replace seal an bearing and go from there or send it to my dealer to get the overhaul and bite the bullet.

SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP, lol lots of friends have oppinions but none seem to help!

·
Banned
377 Posts
polaris 500...

Yes, buy the bearing, seal, and u-joints(once u-joints get unbalanced=trash):thumbsup:
NEW POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 1999-2001 ATV U-JOINTS:eBay Motors (item 380196456579 end time Feb-10-10 08:47:00 PST)

Imo...you have to take it apart and see what damage it has done to the gears inside....hopefully none. The front U-joint could have worn out(got sloppy) and caused an unbalanced destructive operation.
u-joints are $25 on ebay.
FRONT HOUSING...18: SHAFT,OUTPUT,29T
FRONT HOUSING - 2002 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A02CH50AA/AB/AE/AK)/RSE (AC)/DUSE (AD)/X (AJ)/HO FREEDOM (AL)/PSE HO (AM/AN)/DESERT (FA)/WORKER (EB)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2007 efi. yes the front u joint is bad has lots of play in it.

that makes sense, when i rip it apart, anything i should be looking for? other than chunks of metal?

·
Banned
377 Posts
sportsman 500...

Just inspect the teeth(chipped teeth) and parts inside for excessive wear. It might be ok because the cluncking you hear might be the axl flopping around instead of metal chunks grinding in there....I'm crossing my fingers for ya.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is my 4 wheel drive not working because there is no fluid in the demand drive? or is there a serious issue going on?

my console is displaying AWD but tires are not turning.... Pretty hard to get around in the snow without AWD

thanks

·
Banned
377 Posts
It is hard to tell what kind of damage until you take it apart.
Rear diff. has nothing to do with AWD. If the light comes on then check for voltage at the front diff(wire to front diff). You need at least 11.8 v. If you have voltage then the problem could be warped armature or broken sprague cage inside front diff....this is a common problem.

Check the front differential harness for any broken or chafed wires. if that checks out then it is in the differential the hillard clutch or the lock up coil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 polaris 500 ho 4x4

trike master i have a lil perdicament im stuck in and i wanted to knoe if you could possible help me out i have a polaris 500 ho 4x4 heres the problem im stoped and i start to give a lil gas and i start to move i get about 5ph goin and then the front left tires pulls extremly hard to the left i puled the hub assembly off to reveal the full spendle also revelaing a wierd set of bearings that have a sping wrapped around all 6 bearings wat is that for and wat could the problem that is causeing it to pull real hard to the left it does it when it is not clicked over into awd can you help me out by chance its driveing me crazy you can reach me at 469 685-2326 or on email at [email protected] thank you for your time and experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts