ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not trying to flood the board with questions here but does anybody know the proper adjustment for the gas adjustment pin? (that may or may not be the right name for it) I run a snow plowing company and I run four Kawasaki Prairies, two arctic cats and a Honda Foreman. I'm having the most trouble with the Prairies though. If anybody could help with this it'd be majorly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
OK I know what your talking about. Start and completely warm the engine to full operating temperature. It has to be fully hot and ready to go!

Once the ATV is warmed to operating temperature, bring it up to a fast idle of about 1800 rpm. The best way to get a fast idle and keep it is with the idle adjustment screw - the one with the handle on the cable that sticks down past the carburetor.

Make sure the choke is off before doing this.

While holding a steady, high idle, use the adjustment tool (short screwdriver that will fit in the space under the carb) to slowly screw the fuel mixture screw clockwise. Tighten the screw until the engine rpm drops (and nearly dies), then slowly turn the screw back out, counterclockwise. You will hear the engine rpm begin to speed up and the exhaust note will become crisper - you will definitely hear the crispness and will know it when you hear it.

Stop turning the fuel mixture screw out at the exact moment when the engine hits peak rpm at the fast idle setting you locked in earlier. Peak rpm is when the engine runs the crispest, cleanest and fastest at the fast idle speed.

When you reach that perfect point, the idle won't become faster the more you back the fuel mixture screw out. If you keep turning the screw, the rpm will stay up but the exhaust note will become dull and lumpy - which means it sounds like the choke is on and it is running rich.

Once the Pilot fuel screw is properly set, slow the idle back down with the idle adjustment - the knob with the long cable beside the carb - only to where it would normally idle.

Keep the small screwdriver handy, as when the air temperature warms up come Spring, you will want to adjust Pilot fuel mixture screw for the best performance, and you will definitely feel the difference. Better yet, your fuel economy can be increased rather dramatically by keeping this properly adjusted.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts