ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my machine is cold, I pull the choke out a bit and it starts perfect. After 10-15 minutes of idling the machine shuts off. I go to restart the machine and it's hard to start, I have to pull the choke out fully to start it. I figure when the machine is warm, I shouldn't have to pull the choke... and the turning off after 15 minutes of idle worries me?

Any tips? I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds to me like your carb needs cleaning. If you leave the choke on for a while during the warm up it is feeding more fuel than needed to it and gets dirty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
If your trying your self then it would be not done perfectly. So take a help of any mechanic.

Thank you.
a mechanic is just a guy ,,,,with a piece of paper,,, that says he can charge people money for doing repairs,,,if you have an aptitude for mechanical stuff you can save your self a bunch of money and get a lot of satisfaction from doing your own repairs,, been doing my own for 30 years,sometimes you screw up ,, but thats just part of the learning curve,,, good luck,,,,,, get a manual and ask a lots of of questions,(I have been using Clymer),,you can join a polaris only atv site as well,,,

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
try foam cleaner

I had the same problem with my Big Bear 400 it sat for a while and would only stay running with the choke on half way.
I used spray foam carb cleaner from the auto parts store. It worked better right away and ran with the choke slightly on. After about an hour of riding the machine ran great at idle with the choke off. Problem solved since! runs great now I put fuel stabilizer in the gas every time I fill it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts