ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a quadrunner 1992. Normally it runs great but now it not really want to start. Some time it starts but no more than 10 secs and stop. After it is really hard to restart. I have changed the sparkplug and first start it was running like a new one. I parked it and th day after mostly impossible to start. I have put some gas in carburetor but it changes nothing.

Is some have any idea what to investigate.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
black, is fouled, could mean a couple of things.

pull the new spark plug and see what it looks like, if also black. I bet a new spark plug will make it run again!
but as you guessed it, it will get fouled again.

It is possible the machine is due on some maintenance, valve adjustment, compression check, carb clean
also the spark plug coil may be going bad, hence the weak spark that can cause fouling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put gas directly in cylinder, see if it runs, then stalls. If so, fuel delivery issue. Clean fuel system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think suzuki made a 1992 300 quadrunner. Not in the US anyway. They hade their 160 and 230 back then. Maybe a 250. Great quads. Ive fixed many.

They also had the king quad 300 which has the most ignorant and unnecessary fuel delivery of any carburetoreted quad that I can think of. Not sure what year suzuki switched to that though. Nothing but trouble spoiling an otherwise good bike. If your atv is the king quad its most likely not getting fuel. If its the quadrunner it will have a normal carb.

Like others have said though, see if you have fuel. See if you have spark. Confirm your model

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for late reply. Took time to get access again to my quad. I dismantle completely the carburetor and clean it as possible. Put back on the quad but no real improvement. It is still really hard to start and stall immediately when you push accelerator. Gas seems arriving in the cylinder because sparkplug is wet. Sparkplug is brand new. Interesting thing is spark plug becomes black after few seconds cranking the engine. Finally, I have measured engine compression and seems good.

My next hypothesis is on fire side.

What do you think?
Do I have specific things to test?
Sparkplug is doing fire but is it good?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts