ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at a Sportsman 500 w/ 6 total miles on it and 2hrs of runtime.

Looked great, checked airfilter and it was VERY clean, oil looked very clean, but was told it was just changed.

The issue potentially on cold start we had to keep the choke on. The atv did stall several times. After some riding and a good warm up, fans came on the atv still stalled, now w/ and w/out choke. After a few min's I tried it again w/out any choke and boom started right up. Ran great shut it off after a small run. Started up again right away no choke. Tried a few times and it ran great!

Spoke to the kid and he said he always had to use the choke to run it even after it was hot for a while. He said he was waiting for his dad's mechanic to take a look at it. Later on spoke to the father again and he said he didn't need to use the choke, and wasn't sure why his son had the issue.

I'm going to test it again later on from a cold start to make sure it's not an issue, but can anyone suggest what might be the issue or is this just par for the course?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i have a 09 500HO, i had the same problem and i never thought it was an issue....as it broke in it started alot better,just pull the choke 1/4 way out and let it warm up and way you go....when it get's some riding hours on it...change out the sparkplug...Muddie49

1 - 2 of 2 Posts