ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a Raptor 660, it seems that the starter just winds over but she only catches when she wants too. Some days perfect without a hitch, other days wont start at all maybe for a week or so, unless I jump start her. I Just replaced brand with new starter and solenoid, and battery is fully charged. Any thoughts, or anybody know what to do next? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is starting to get expensive replacing things without making a difference. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
does the gears on the starter or a reduction gear or flywheel have any missing teeth? Besides the possibility of teeth missing you need to check for bushing and bearing wear. Insure that the starter and all gears and or chains are properly alined and have the proper alingment and mounting. The smallest displacement will cause what you are experiencing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know how old the battery is. I've only had the bike for about a year, When its put on the charger it says its a good battery. The starter is brand new and the gears that I can see on the starter side, when I take the four bolts out are fine. {thats about two or three littler ones that the starter fits into.} On the bottom there might be more, I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks for your replys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, what I meant was when I bump start her. Tow her or run with her with the clutch in and let it out fast in gear. Starts fine like that. I'm making an appointment with the a Yamaha shop to get them to look at her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
raptor trouble

my starter does the same thing. I understand there is a starter clutch that gets hung up and it is a good size repair. My starter turns but does not seem to grab anything. Does anyone know if the starter engages in and out when energizes or the starter clutch clutch pulls away. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts