ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a mint condition 2014 Honda trx400. The only issue with it is that you can hear the timing chain is loose (atleast I’ve been told that’s the issue). The noise is really faint and a lot quieter than any loose timing chain I’ve ever heard. I plan of getting it fixed but will it damage anything riding it for a week or so before I bring it to the shop?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of chain tensioner that quad uses. If it's adjustable, do that. It's pretty simple.
If it's not externally adjustable, it could be stuck. Set the motor at TDC compression stroke and carefully remove the adjuster. Clean it and check that the plunger moves freely. Install per Honda recommendation. But, if it's not rattling very bad, it's most likely ok to ride it around. I wouldn't climb hills or race it but you should be able to putt around until you get it looked at.

Mad

·
Registered
260 Posts
I checked a bit. Brand new tensioner is $80. It looks like you can remove the center bolt on the tensioner and, using a small screwdriver, push the plunger in just a bit. If the rattling stops, don't go any further

Mad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts