ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for anyones help!! My prairie sat for about a year. I replaced the battery and no power to the display. With the key OFF, I have 12 volts on the battery. I turn the key ON, no voltage at the battery!!!?? Fuses are good. At one point after wiggling wires, I got the display to turn on but a clicking was coming from a relay when I tried to start it. Now nothing. I’m thinking it’s the relay? Thoughts? Please. Why wouldn’t the battery have any volts when the key is on?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The battery can show 12v static and still be bad. As soon as you put it under load it can drop a bunch. Try a new battery before looking at anything else.

Mad

·
Registered
411 Posts
I see you put a new battery in. Check the voltage with the key on and when you push the start button. If it drops a lot there's a chance your new battery is bad. Also check all your grounds. A bad ground can cause this.

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see you put a new battery in. Check the voltage with the key on and when you push the start button. If it drops a lot there's a chance your new battery is bad. Also check all your grounds. A bad ground can cause this.

Mad
Hey Mad, thanks for the input. Yeah new battery. As soon as I turn the key to the on position, the battery is at 0 volts on volt meter. When key off, it reads 12. It’s like the key kills the voltage some how making me get no reading from the battery terminals and that makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok. It sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Verify that you have voltage to the ignition switch and start button and make sure any safety cut off switches are functioning. Also check all your ground connections, especially the engine and frame grounds as well as the battery cable itself. Don't rely on just eyeballing it. Check connections with a meter.
Are you checking the voltage directly on the battery terminals ?

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. It sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Verify that you have voltage to the ignition switch and start button and make sure any safety cut off switches are functioning. Also check all your ground connections, especially the engine and frame grounds as well as the battery cable itself. Don't rely on just eyeballing it. Check connections with a meter.
Are you checking the voltage directly on the battery terminals ?

Mad
Thanks for the advice. I’m checking the voltage directly on the terminals. I’m going to work on it today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I’m checking the voltage directly on the terminals. I’m going to work on it today.
Mad,

I replaced relays. All the grounds read 0.100 or less ohms so my understanding is the are good. I traced a positive wire to what looks like a relay, with key off I have 12 volts coming to it. With the key on., I got nothing man. I’m not all that mechanically inclined. Please talk to me like I dumber than a dog turd

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, you're smarter than me when it comes to electrical stuff. I'd think that there should be power to that relay with the key on. Trace back that wire and see if you can find where you lose voltage. Possibly a broken wire in the harness.
Or you could maybe pop a different relay in there and see what happens. Valley Wrenching where are you ?

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you're smarter than me when it comes to electrical stuff. I'd think that there should be power to that relay with the key on. Trace back that wire and see if you can find where you lose voltage. Possibly a broken wire in the harness.
Or you could maybe pop a different relay in there and see what happens. Valley Wrenching where are you ?

Mad
I’m in Delaware. Come on down. That’s what’s making me lose my mind. Power there with key off. Turn key on, battery and that relay or switch or whatever it is, has 0 volts. There’s like another power distribution plug with the negative coming in from battery and the positive and a yellow and blue wiring, thick wire, coming out. Exact same thing. Red wire has 12 volts. Turn key on. 0 volts. Like I’m dumb but how in the world does that work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m in Delaware. Come on down. That’s what’s making me lose my mind. Power there with key off. Turn key on, battery and that relay or switch or whatever it is, has 0 volts. There’s like another power distribution plug with the negative coming in from battery and the positive and a yellow and blue wiring, thick wire, coming out. Exact same thing. Red wire has 12 volts. Turn key on. 0 volts. Like I’m dumb but how in the world does that work.
And that relay comes off main positive wire deom
Battery and looks like the other side goes to the the display or somewhere up front.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What I don't understand is why you're reading 0 at the battery terminals. Maybe try a different battery or hook a jump box to it. I wonder if the new battery could be marked wrong ? Pos is Neg etc I'm stumped.

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I don't understand is why you're reading 0 at the battery terminals. Maybe try a different battery or hook a jump box to it. I wonder if the new battery could be marked wrong ? Pos is Neg etc I'm stumped.

Mad
Jumped it with truck. It was the battery. A brand new battery that was bad I guess. Thanks for the chit chat. Put a new battery in and it works. Carb cleaning time. Take care

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice ! Post this to the forum so people can learn.
Yeah I thought it was weird that the voltage right on the battery dropped. Good job.

Mad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts