ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends, I have a 2006 HONDA RANCHER 350ES and I am experiencing shift issues. When I start it up. the gear indicator on the display starts flashing the "N" and the upshift/downshift buttons will NOT operate. I can push the ATV forward and backwards, shut the key OFF and sometimes that will allow the shift buttons to work UNTIL I shut it off again. It just started doing this. Can ANYONE offer any suggestions on fixing this issue? THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a 2006 Honda Forman 500ES and have had the same issue. Mine was tied to the battery. Any time the battery was weak or I had a poor connections I had shift issues. I think it need sfull voltage to complete shifts.

1st after is sat for a couple months I could get it into 1st and it would not shift until I rode it for awhile and charged the battery.

Then when my battery started going bad I had the same problem

The last time this happened the positive battery cable from the battery to the solenoid/relay was corroded under the outer insulation.

Basically make sure you have 12+ volts on the battery and all connections are tight and clean. Look at the exposed sire where it goes under the outer insulation and you can usually tell if the cable/wire is getting internal corrosion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello jasonv,
THANK YOU for replying. The battery was replaced last November and ALL the connections are cleaned and lubricated with electrical grease. The wiring looks good. I have a BATTERY TENDER JR. hooked up to it when it is NOT in use. I am
NEW to ATVs and I use it mainly for deer hunting.. hauling tree stands in and out, placing trail cameras and checking them and HOPEFULLY... HAULING OUT DEER. It just started doing this and there are NO HONDA dealerships within 60 miles of where I live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I start the engine, the N starts flashing TWO times. and stops then flashes TWO times again.. I have rocked it back and forth a few times, shut the key off and maybe it would act fine and shift PERFECTLY until I shut the motor off again.. I SURE have a LOT to learn..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts