ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My propeller shaft is loose on both ends and vibrates at high speed. Typically is it the female shaft ends that wear or the male ends coming out of the transmission /differential, or both. I would like to know before I order a new shaft. Is this a commonly worn out part? My 04 sportsamn only have around 1000 miles on it. For that matter both front drive shafts are sloppy as well. Can you get cheaper after market shafts? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
it's always the prop shaft female end's, the tranny and diff end's are harden steel and the prop shaft female end's are softer metal so they will wear.

same with the front axel's, if the front axel's are not causing you any problem's leave them alone as they can have that play in them for a long time with no problem's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon further inspection the rear u-joint was bad as well, dealer $60 Local auto parts store #338 u-joint $19 also the front pinion seal at the diff. was bad, dealer only sells repair kit cosisting of bearing o-ring and seal for $70 local bearing shop has the seal
25mmx47mmx7mm for $4. The rear slip yoke is worn a lot but I will see how it goes with the new u-joint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
just changing the u joint will not help that much your better buying the yoke or complete shaft

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the job yesterday and the vibration is gone. On a side note I also greased the front ball joint and one of them actually started to get pressed out and bent the retaining plate, the grease pressed it out about 3/8". The only way I could get it back in was to have someone hold the little ball in the grease zerk in while I hammered the joint back together, with each blow grease oozed out of the zerk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you need to replace your ball joints

1 - 6 of 6 Posts