ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a pair of ATVs very soon. I haven't kept up with the market for the past 10 years or so. Here's what I'm looking for:

Power steering
Locking differentials
700ish CC
Independent rear

We'll be doing 99% trail riding, with some small chores around the house. Pulling a fence style drag, small disc a few times a year. I'd like something that's not massive. A lot of the ATVs I see lately are built on very large platforms. I'm 5'6". I want plenty of power, but I want it to be light and small so I can weave through trees and won't be confined to roads because it's too wide.

Looking for something new or within a couple of years old. What are your suggestions and why?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to hear people weigh in on this topic as well. My bro-in-law has a pair of Honda 420 Ranchers, 2017 I think. He had to choose between EPS and IRS. It was the year before they offered both.

I have a lake house in eastern TN. He lives in Memphis. I never realized the hot bed of ATV parks and thousands of miles of trails within a 30 minute tow. Rode last few weekends and I'm hooked. My body told me I need both EPS and IRS.

Now the lake house isn't just a summer boating destination! Have plenty of room for the boat AND a pair of quads in the garage. I liked the footprint of the Hondas, but it lacked in some low end grunt for climbing and the deep stuff. That being said, there wasn't much I couldn't do that some big bore machines were doing. I'm looking in the same class as you, but I get carried away and want all the options. A 450-500 class machine would probably be sufficient. I don't need to go fast, as the trails simply don't allow it. Purely for fun, not working. I have two daughters (14 and 18) 18 yr old is in college and not around as much as the little one. Both would absolutely love to ride. Wife is so/so. She'd prefer to be a passenger in a side by side. I almost view the side by side as cheating.
I swear by Yamaha outboards. I've been a boater for 25+ years. I know nothing about ATVs. Just looking at specs and reading/watching reviews, I'm leaning towards a Kodiak 700. Seems to have what I'm looking for. Small footprint, reliability and more power than the Honda 420s. I've learned a tow receiver, winch (at least on one of them) are absolute necessities. Trunks and storage to spend an entire day on the trails another. I thought about one completely decked out and the other just EPS. Of course then I start getting into Grizzly territory. Haven't even thought about a trailer yet. Having a bit of sticker shock. Although, being a boater, I should know better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts