ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 2003 Honda Ranchers, one ES and one standard. I wired my fans to a toggle switch so I can keep the motor from getting hot. They have both been wired this way for 2 years. We went on a trip last weekend and after about 30min my wife’s ES quit like she hit the kill switch. She had not been running the fan. I towed it back with mine and on my way back mine did the exact same thing? I had my fan running the whole time but I ran it harder than I ever have in the past. Both fan fuses were blown. I believe when the sensor told the fan to come on it smoked both EFI modules. I know the modules were smoked because I can smell that painful electrical smell at the plugs. I purchased one for $186!!! And now I am scared to plug it in. I can’t afford to smoke another one. I disconnected the toggle switch and made sure the wires were not touching. Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spliced into the two wires at the fan. I grounded the ground directly to the frame and ran the hot to a toggle switch and from the toggle switch to the battery. I figured I didn't need a fuse because of the fuse for the fan in the fuse pannel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it doesn’t blow with the wires disconnected on mine. But it did on my wife’s, but her EFI was visually burnt. It even damaged the connecting plug. They are wired the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 2003 Honda Ranchers, one ES and one standard. I wired my fans to a toggle switch so I can keep the motor from getting hot. They have both been wired this way for 2 years. We went on a trip last weekend and after about 30min my wife’s ES quit like she hit the kill switch. She had not been running the fan. I towed it back with mine and on my way back mine did the exact same thing? I had my fan running the whole time but I ran it harder than I ever have in the past. Both fan fuses were blown. I believe when the sensor told the fan to come on it smoked both EFI modules. I know the modules were smoked because I can smell that painful electrical smell at the plugs. I purchased one for $186!!! And now I am scared to plug it in. I can’t afford to smoke another one. I disconnected the toggle switch and made sure the wires were not touching. Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts