ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 700 efi leaking antifreeze

14K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rumely 
#1 ·
My 700 is leaking antifreeze out of a weep hole under the water pump. Does anybody know what needs to be done to fix this problem? I was told that it was a rear seal on the water pump and that a special tool was needed to remove it. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Yes that is correct you will need a special tool to replace the water pump seal on your unit. The outer cover of the water pump when removed will allow you to gain access to a nut and a impeller. This will have to be removed to allow you to gain access to the seal assembly. This is were you will need the tool, this tool will allow you to remove the mechanical seal with out splitting the engine.

***Note be very careful when using this tool as to not twist or cock the puller on the shaft or seal assembly as you do not want to bent this shaft or damage it in any way. If you do you will find your self removing the engine to replace the shaft.

Have a look at this pic it is a parts break down for the pump seal

Water pump 700

#3 ·
Thanks for the info

Only thing is, in this diagram, I don't see the rear seal - do you know which number it is? I ordered a shop manual for this machine and will follow it's procedure for replacing the seal and a friend of mine says he has the special tool needed. Any idea what would cause this seal to go bad? I only have about 30 hrs. on this machine.

#4 ·
As for the seal number in the parts page, I would go to your dealer with the model and serial number of the machine to make sure you get the correct parts for your unit.

What would cause the seal to leak?:confused: By the sounds of this the unit has low operating hours on it. The coolant is probably the long life coolant and this coolant is very corrosive to aluminum. The longer this coolant sites the more acidic it becomes. I my self use the old green antifreeze as I find this much more suited for my needs I change the coolant after every year of ridding.

You may want to try and change the coolant out first with the green coolant, and give the unit a good run. You may find that your seep from the weep hole on the water pump may stop. This will only work if the unit has been sitting for a long time and the seals are dry and set in their static position with little flexibility left. May be able to free the seal up or soften them up enough to have some life left in them. This in not a fix it may just by you some time before you will have to change out the seals, and you may be able to prove this theory. Good Luck :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.