ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've cut it down to two atv's..., The Honda Foreman and the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Both of the atv's are great, but i can't decide which is a better buy. The foreman is manual which i love and has steel rackets, a better display, and Honda reliability. On the other side, Polaris is less expensive... has a better suspension,a better 4-wheel drive, more cargo, more power, but is 100 lbs heavier and is automatic which im not used to... so please help me decide!!! p.s. I want it for trailing and mudding, not really any work.

Polaris: 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO ATV : Overview

Honda: 2013 FourTrax Foreman 4x4 Overview - Honda Powersports

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
tough choice

I had a honda foreman and have owned a polaris sportsmen 400 and now own a polaris sposrtmen 500 HO (2012)
Honda is a smoother running bike everything just seems precision.
The polaris have served me well. I sold my old one with over 10,000 miles on it! still got $3000 for it a few years back. I like the ride the polaris has very nice suspension for off roading. I think the polaris has more ground clearance and more power. I am not knocking Honda they are good but I like the Polaris better. Hope that helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've cut it down to two atv's..., The Honda Foreman and the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Both of the atv's are great, but i can't decide which is a better buy. The foreman is manual which i love and has steel rackets, a better display, and Honda reliability. On the other side, Polaris is less expensive... has a better suspension,a better 4-wheel drive, more cargo, more power, but is 100 lbs heavier and is automatic which im not used to... so please help me decide!!! p.s. I want it for trailing and mudding, not really any work.

For trail CVT/IRS is the way to go, IMHO! Depending on the trail abpnd your riding style, you either choose low, or highgear, and go. And you cant beat the smoothness of the sportsmans IRS.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I was leaning toward the Foreman, but now I'm thinking again, decisions decisions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say that you don't want to be shifting while muddling and a good suspension is nice for trails. That is why the polaris is nice but the Honda is reliable, durable, dependable and good quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope I am not hijacking this thread. I just didn't want to open a new "this one or that one" forum.

I want to start by saying I am a first time poster. I have ridden dirt bikes in the past, but I am older now with kids, and am looking at getting back out on the dirt with an ATV

I am looking at getting a Polaris Sportsman ETX new as I have found some very good deals where I am. I was originally looking for something more like a Kawasaki Brute Force 300 or similar. It looks like those look to be about $1000 less than the Polaris. Is the Polaris ETX worth the $1000 more?

FYI...I was looking at getting a used ATV, but where I am new isn't that much more. Ex. Where I am Sportsman 400 is about $200 less than a new ETX. I assume I can talk them down probably to $500 - $700 less for around a 2012 model, but not sure if it is worth it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never mind. Looks like the ATV just went out of my price range. I had a surprise of a dealer fee. I have seen these before on cars, but when I asked about them..... $1100. So backed out of the deal on the Polaris. Kind of mad, so going to cool off before I start looking again. I expected a little bit on the dealer fee, but not $1100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just realized that the dealer was trying to pull one over on my. I have found a place that appears to be a better dealer where their "dealer fee" was $227 which seemed more reasonable, so back to my question. Polaris ETX worth $1000 more than something like a Brute Force 300?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts