How do you remove the brake drum off this thing? It looks like it just slides over the wheel axle and the four lug not bolts but I can't pull it off to save my life. I've tried PB Blaster, a crowbar and multiple hammers to no avail. What's it typically cost to have a dealer replace drum brake pads?
Put a board over the end of the shaft and smack it with a large hammer. Only do it a couple of times. Then use the board to try and catch an edge and hammer on it. Rotate the hub every smack. If you can't rotate it, your brake is locked up.
Be careful when using pry bars, as there is a seal there that you don't want to damage.
If the brake is locked up, what I would do is make a mess. Plug the drain hole and fill the chamber with oil (cheap stuff will work fine). Put the wheel back on for leverage and turn it. Once you got it loosened up, take the wheel off and see if the drum will come off then.
If you use oil, you'll need to clean all the oil out of the entire chamber, use brake clean and soak the pads for a minute or two.
I should mention that I also used a rubber mallet. Specially formed, put an angle on the head so it would have more surface area for the angled strike.
I should clarify. These are the front hydraulic brakes, which disengage just fine (I just tried them).
Would you still recommend filling the drums with oil?
My next idea is to find a 3 jaw puller that's big enough to go around the drum, though I was trying to avoid buying more tools. PB Blaster and brute force hammering method has been unsuccessful after two attempts.
I got it off with a 6" three jaw puller. Had to grind away portions of the dust cover to fit the jaws on the brake drum lip.
Surprising part is that the lug bolts are attached to the drum, and not the axle like is shown on my service manual.
All of the resistance seems to be coming from the super sticky rubber boot seal, so I'm going to clean that up and add some new rubber grease to see if that makes it easier. Axle spline could use some new grease too.
Ya, I've looked through two different service manuals for this model and there's only one other version left to confirm against. The first two show the same incorrect sketch. Hoping the book supplier will get back to me today.
The right wheel pads are virtually brand new. Hope the left side looks the same.
Once I realized the lugs were attached to the drum I put the nuts on halfway and upside down, so the bevel is up, and used a two jaw puller, switching from one set of bolts to the other. It was slow but it worked fine.
A forum community dedicated to All ATV owners and enthusiasts ranging across all makes including Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and Honda. Come join the discussion about classifieds, troubleshooting, suspension, riding, off roading, maintenance, performance, modifications, and more!