ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Prairie 650 that I acquired from my new homes previous owner. He said he has always taken good care of it and I believe it based on the condition of everything else around the house. It fires right up on the first pull and will run fine with the choke all the way out until it starts to warm up. Once warm there is no way to keep it running outside of holding the throttle in a bit.

He mentioned that he's never gotten the thing to idle correctly. He had it jetted for altitude but that didn't seem to work. If I hold the throttle in just a hair it will idle all day long but sputters out after 5-10 seconds when released. The idle adjustment was already all the way up (clockwise) if I turn it at all the other way it sputters out instantly. Any thoughts? Next step will be a carb rebuild and plugs but it runs great otherwise. I'm thinking of trying to tighten the idle adjust unless that's a bad idea. I'm not sure what speed I'm idling at with the knob turned all the way up ( no tach) but it's low.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Go down one or two sizes on the pilot jet. It should require choke to start, then you can adjust idle mixture with the
Idle Mixture screw. Also make sure your air filter is clean.

Mad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts