ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I used to ride a 500cc utility quad, but no longer have it
Im a student on a budget, i have sme mechanical knowledge, but many around me have much more, lots of experience with engines, trucks, quads etc.

Someone is locally selling a 2001 TRX250EX with a cooked rod bearing, and apparently no ignition (dont know why that happenned).
Anyways, the quad is $400 OBO cad, and the seller is interested in some parts i have (which are surplus to my needs.)

Anyways, my question for you is, has anyone heard of someone using this quad as a platform for a hot rod project? I was contemplating the idea of slapping a larger engine (450 ex?, bike engine?) But i wanted to see if anyone else has done it, or where i could read up on these types of projects

Anyways, shoot me some info or criticism if you have any

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
the 250ex is a shaft driven quad the 450 is a chain driven quad that is the start of something i would not want to mess with.
the 250ex has a few after market parts but not as many as the 300ex or 400ex there is also alot of parts for the 450s. the 250 is a limited plateform unless major mods r done. i would try to find a more suitible platform. i have seen a 400ex with a yamaha 426 motor on it. try to google these mod and something may come up.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
you can find 400ex with bad motors and good frames for around the same price and thats what i would try to modify because they offer a great platform for the after market parts and they r strong and proven to take alot of abuse. And they r a dime a dozen. Plus i love mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts