ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have TRX450r with about 2 hours on it that i purchased in 2004 when I was a kid. In first day I rode it I broke my leg and since that day it was standing in a garage. Yesterday my brother and me took carburetor apart to clean it from old fuel and this beast started second time after 15 years sitting in a garage. Everything is original honda stock parts. Holy guacamole, it is too fast. Is there any way to make it drive slower, less aggressive and quieter. Is there any way to reduce speed so I can start slowly driving it again. I still have fear from my last accident but I really want to enjoy ATV again. Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
239 Posts
How about not opening the throttle so much ?
I mean you can try to choke off the intake or exhaust but you'll end up being miserable trying to get it to run right.
Maybe rig up a throttle stop so you can only open the throttle half way or something.

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for reply Mad . I have to open throttle 1/2 to get some RPMs so engine will not stall when starting / accelerating. I don't want to burn clutch. i try to use clutch for not more then two or three seconds. is there any gear reduction option?
I also need to do something with my helmet. it's Arai VX Pro. i purchased in 2005 and i need all new paddings. I called Arai dealer and they don't have any paddings for my model. They say helmets are good for only five years. it looks brand new. i wore it for one day only. it was sitting in garage and foam deteriorated. is there any way to rebuild it? i would like to use it again if it can be fixed. Thank you !

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds to me like your carb needs a good cleaning. If it's been sitting at all the pilot circuit is
probably plugged.
As for your helmet, unless it has a removable liner, it's done. The fact that the liner deteriorated means
that the shell is also compromised. Probably from fumes in the garage. I have the same issue with my old
Shoes RF1000 Diabolic. Love the helmet but the liner wore out.

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for reply Mad . I have to open throttle 1/2 to get some RPMs so engine will not stall when starting / accelerating. I don't want to burn clutch. i try to use clutch for not more then two or three seconds. is there any gear reduction option?
I also need to do something with my helmet. it's Arai VX Pro. i purchased in 2005 and i need all new paddings. I called Arai dealer and they don't have any paddings for my model. They say helmets are good for only five years. it looks brand new. i wore it for one day only. it was sitting in garage and foam deteriorated. is there any way to rebuild it? i would like to use it again if it can be fixed. Thank you !
Sounds to me like your carb needs a good cleaning. If it's been sitting at all the pilot circuit is
probably plugged.
As for your helmet, unless it has a removable liner, it's done. The fact that the liner deteriorated means
that the shell is also compromised. Probably from fumes in the garage. I have the same issue with my old
Shoes RF1000 Diabolic. Love the helmet but the liner wore out.

Mad
Yes. carburetor was totally plugged even though used ethanol free fuel with fuel stabiliser. I deep cleaned and ATV starts fine. the engine still in break in period. engine worked for not more then three hours. I did change oil and filter. I also changed air filter since it was too soft and foam was not firm.
The helmet is bummer. i would not buy a helmet now for over $500+ I think to get some decent helmet for about $100-200 . I will probably go to PA on trail to try it out. I hope not to break anything this time. I have to overcome fear from last accident :) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seriously it sounds like you should get a smaller quad and either sell this one or hold onto it until you have more seat time. If the throttle is not responsive at all levels from idle to wide open, the the carb needs work. I replaced the carb on an old Honda Fourtrax for only $38, so make sure it is running right before you try to aquire some skill at operating it. It sounds like a creampuff, so let me know if you consider selling it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously it sounds like you should get a smaller quad and either sell this one or hold onto it until you have more seat time. If the throttle is not responsive at all levels from idle to wide open, the the carb needs work. I replaced the carb on an old Honda Fourtrax for only $38, so make sure it is running right before you try to aquire some skill at operating it. It sounds like a creampuff, so let me know if you consider selling it.
Interesting, Replace carburetor? sure, why not. any idea who makes good carburetors for trx450r. maybe my carburetor is not working well. Regarding smaller quad: I would sell it by no one appreciate that it has 2-3 hours. i am looking into polaris 570 2021 model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found this carb on amazon B078XZ49WN for $41 is there any other better carbs that are reliable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting, Replace carburetor? sure, why not. any idea who makes good carburetors for trx450r. maybe my carburetor is not working well. Regarding smaller quad: I would sell it by no one appreciate that it has 2-3 hours. i am looking into polaris 570 2021 model.
I found a great price on eBay and it was a great (and cheap) correction to a bunch of problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
All those carburetors are Chinese copies. Make sure you check the seller reviews. Some of the replica carbs actually work well. I have one on my Big Bear. But they don't necessarily come jetted for your vehicle. Best thing to do
is, if they are clean, put the jets from the OEM carb in the replacement.

Mad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All those carburetors are Chinese copies. Make sure you check the seller reviews. Some of the replica carbs actually work well. I have one on my Big Bear. But they don't necessarily come jetted for your vehicle. Best thing to do
is, if they are clean, put the jets from the OEM carb in the replacement.

Mad
Thank you Mad, i did replace all seals and cleaned all channels. it performs great now. Thank you for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts