ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the new bike out today and was driving through a "puddle" when all the sudden the puddle got about 5 feet deep, i bailed off and kept the throttle going...the belts started to slip so i still kept the throttle up and pushed it to shore...
now i had 2 problems
1. belt slipped pulled the drain plug(great locations thank you yamaha) drained the water(a little cloudy) and belt was fine after that.
now the question is should i take the cover and and inspect/clean it out. and what product should i use to clean it?

2. when i finally got home about an hour later i checked the air filter box and there was fuel in it. is this a related issue? the big ran fine...

please help if you can, i am new to this forum and to atv's in general.

thanks
2009 kodiak 450

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check if you snokle is on, or your seal on your crankcase cover might be shot but if it is the just the seal go get some seal maker.
if your snokle is off just put it back in place and tighten the nuts!
nothing major.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
here is what you need to do, now this is not a promblem solver to going for a dive in your 4wheeler but this will def help alot. i have sunk my completly under water three seperate times and this is what i found works the best to get you up and running again.

-go buy alot of oil. buy some cheap oil and then some good oil, enough for two seperate changes min, three is best
-change your oil with the cheap oil and run it for about twenty min
-change your oil again with the good oil. you will notice with each change all of the krap that got in your engine is coming out.
-chances are if water got in your intake it got in your differentials, so repeat the process witht the diffs but i would only change once

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. belt slipped pulled the drain plug(great locations thank you yamaha) drained the water(a little cloudy) and belt was fine after that.
now the question is should i take the cover and and inspect/clean it out. and what product should i use to clean it?
If water just got into the belt system and not the engine and if the water was clean water and not muddy water, you might be OK by just draining it. If the water was muddy, it would probably be a good idea to remove the belt cover and clean everything out and remove the primary sheave and take it apart and remove the rollers and clean everything out. Regrease the rollers with Grizzly grease or a high temp grease and reassemble. Use about 1 tablespoon of grease on each roller. When you put the rollers back in, be sure to hold in on the front cover until you get the sheave bolted back on or the rollers will fall out of place.

2. when i finally got home about an hour later i checked the air filter box and there was fuel in it. is this a related issue? the big ran fine...
If your quad is snorkeled and if you were hauling it in a truck or on a trailer, make sure you turn the gas off and cap your snorkel off. The air will blow through the snorkel and suck the gas up out of the carb bowl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts