ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a cabin in an area that gets a bit of snow. My wife suggested that we get an ATV to plow the driveway (shhh, don't tell her what I will really do).

I've never owned an ATV (but have ridden a few, I'm a snowmobiler) but have started looking around. I'm pretty sure for snow plowing (and hopefully trailing riding or at least forest service roads) I need a utility 4x4. I saw a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 400 IRS on craigslist for about $2700. It includes a winch and such (no snowplow).

I guess I am looking for some advice. What should I be looking for? What size? What are the most bulletproof for my needs? Not sure of my budget, but no more than $3000.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Drew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honda's are generally pretty reliable but as long as you take care of your machine then you should not have much trouble with any brand. Don't worry too much about size a 300 will plow snow just as well as anything else. But 4x4 does come in handy especially if your plowing a lot of snow or on a hill. A great place to find a good deal is in a local paper or traders guide. If you live in a place that gets a lot of snow then you will probably be able to find a bike that has a plow on it pretty easily. B.T.W If you do end up buying your plow. Spend a little extra for a good bran name one (Moose, cycle country, Etc.) I know a few guys who bought cheap ones then just ended up bending them or busting them up on rocks and other stuff. Also, are you riding any cool sleds?

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have seen some good deals lately on some atvs on craigslist like a 2002 600 twin with some accescories winch no plow around 2900

Reactions: saber6
1 - 5 of 5 Posts