ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the site, so bear with me
I have a little dilema. I just bought a used yamaha blaster, and someone had mounted a honda 200 engine into the frame. I do have to say they did a nice job as it is straight and very secure.
Now for my dilema. The motor needs work, it is low on compression and smokes like mad. I think it is a pretyy cool setup. here is the question ,can I get that motor run as quick as a blaster 2 stroke motor.
I would appreciate any input

Thanks
eddy66

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool setup. I would say check the cylinder to make sure there are no scores is it. If it looks good then i would say throw some rings in it. (hone it if possible) and have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i know I can put some rings in, but do you think if I bore it out ,I can get some more power. I wa really looking for that 2 stroke torque.

Thanks for the response

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
i doubt you can get that power out of that engine. usually a 200 2 stroke runs about as fast as a 400 4 stroke. figuretivly speaking. now four strokes rule and the 2 strokes r not as fast but thats a technology thing. my buddy has a 250r honda with a atc350 motor on it and it is fast but he went to get mod parts on it so his son could race it and parts were high in price. but it is fast for what it is. it would probly cost a arm and a leg to make it fast. i still doubt it would run as fast blasters r pretty quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom,
Thanks for the information, I think I might just clean this bike up and sell it and look for that 2 stroke blaster power that I was in the market for in the first place.
It is hard to believe a 2 stroke 200 will run as a s fast as a 4 stroke 400.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
todays 450r rules over the 250r they r faster and more reliable so i would look for a 400 4 stroke. i love 2 strokes but i would rather have a 4 stroke. i have a 400ex use to have a 450r i love them. back when i was 17 i had a kaw250 tecate it was fast back then but now i watch them get waxed on the track. old technology. but 2 strokes r still cool as hell. look for a 400 or 450 they r modest in price and you dont have to work on them as much.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on the 400 4 stroke, would you happen to know if the engine mounts are the same as the 200 engine. like I said this blsater was modified to fit this 200 engine. If the motor mounts are the same waht you said is a great idea.

Thanks again
Ed

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
im not sure, i doubt it. but it could be done. a kid down the road has a yamaha banshee with a yamaha r1 motor on it thats a 1000. he drag races it. it can all be done with a little know how and elbow grease. that would be a fast blaster if you did change it to a 400. it may be cheaper and alot easier to find a blaster motor for it. there r alot of after market parts for them and they r all around. try ebay for parts

·
Banned
377 Posts
2-stroke power

My 82' 250R beat's my wifes brand new quad racer LTR450(She can ride). Even with the shorter piston in the LTR. She paid $12,000 for it=I paid $200+ for my R. Lol(well+mods). Maybe you could re-gear the sprockets for more speed but, Yeah the blaster motor is faster. Makes me want to start another project...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts