ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neighbor of mine let my 5 yr old son ride a little bitty ATV and now he wants one so bad he is actually helping with housework to earn money so he can "buy" one. I know absolutely nothing about them and need some guidiance. It appears to me that the smallest one a person can buy is 50cc's. I am sure that would be sufficient for his riding ability, although I wonder how long that would be the case. He is about 46 pounds and the farm we live on is mostly flat (2 creeks but he can't get near them due to fences). Our field has underground springs and can get really soupy after a rain so he will need a little torque to keep the atv from getting stuck. So does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard the big manufacturing names (honda, yamaha, kawasaki, Can-Am, Polaris, etc). However I am torn in buying a name brand (and name $$$) for one that he will outgrow. I see alot of brands I have never heard of (and suspect they are chinese made) at places like Pep Boys and Northern Hydraulic and was wondering if any of those would be worth the risk in buying? (If so which ones, if not then what does the group suggest?) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you get the little guy a quad yet?

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if your looking in the $400-$700 range, check out used models like Suzuki LT50 and LT80, also Honda TRX90.

Even the older models are good ones...parts readily available at your local dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't purchased one yet. He is still "earning" money to buy one for his birthday in June. I am starting to lean towards a 2 seater go kart with some rollover protection. Not concrete on that either. Was just thinking it would be more fun for everyone and we could rig up a throttle control to keep it at a slower speed. I wouldn't want to spend more than 1K if possible. Do you (or anyone) have an idea where to look for one? Craigslist has been a bust here in Knoxville. Should I try looking at a dealer? I know they will be the most expensive, but maybe the safest route? What are ppls thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go-Karts are fun too. I had them all when I was a kid, 3-wheelers, Karts, dirt bikes and four wheelers and we had a blast on all of them.

Craigslist has always prevailed for me...just keep looking every week and something will pop up. Also, you can make a wanted ad on there, I would do that. Let's people know your looking.

With the budget your considering you should be able to find one with shock suspension... that's an awesome feature that wasn't available back in the day.

If I see anything I'll send it your way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will pre-empt my suggestion by saying that I am not a fan of the chinese market atv's, and from what I have heard on the news, I don't think you can buy a "new" childs atv. That being said, I bought my son at 6 years of age one of the Manco atv's from Tractor Supply Co. This atv has been absolutely bullet proof!!! It is a 90cc, has a built in throttle governor, it has electric start w/ brake safety switch, oil injection, and plenty of power to grow on! I personally have had this thing up around 25 mph.... And I weigh 210 lbs! The only thing I have learened about this machine is that you have to run synthetic 2 stroke oil. It has been run into the ground and it keeps coming back for more. I have owned it for 6 years and never regreted it! I bought it on sale for $899.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts