ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will someone please educate me.every person i know that has purchased a atv from polaris has had problem after problem.i love the looks of there quads but come on.i havent heard a positive thing about there quads,side by sides.but they make a hell of a great snowmobile???

·
Registered
31 Posts
A Good Dealer is most imporant with a Polaris.....

Well..they make a great quad...but they do tend to have small problems..just like any other quad,so its imporant to have a good dealer that will work with you...thats most imporant...alot of guys on here have had problems with their quads and thier dealers have given them the run around, so guys get piss'd at Polaris...but they have strong Engines....the best ride out there...just have a few bad apples....but i tell think the best quad for the money....Muddie49

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a polaris and i would never buy another one. It has not given me much for problems but polaris just can't keep up anymore. If you get into the bigger models they get to heavy and sink away. If you are looking for a cheap but good bike, buy a kawasaki. If you want to buy the best bike on the market, buy a cam am and you will never regret it. Do not buy a susuki either, they just get stuck all the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a polaris and i would never buy another one. It has not given me much for problems but polaris just can't keep up anymore. If you get into the bigger models they get to heavy and sink away. If you are looking for a cheap but good bike, buy a kawasaki. If you want to buy the best bike on the market, buy a cam am and you will never regret it. Do not buy a susuki either, they just get stuck all the time.
Your wallet may regret it. 400 Sportsman HO is a minimum of $3K cheaper than a 400 Outlander, was pricing them out the last couple of days. I can be real happy with $3K in my pocket!!

:)

Will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your wallet may regret it. 400 Sportsman HO is a minimum of $3K cheaper than a 400 Outlander, was pricing them out the last couple of days. I can be real happy with $3K in my pocket!!

You are right the Outlander is more money but if you use your bike lots and keep it for more than a few years it is well worth the money. If you have the opportunity to ride one or ride with a group of guys who drive the outlanders, you will understand that the money will be well spent. If you do not ride much or want it for around the yard then save your money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This guy has no idea what he is talking about Ive owned a suzuki 500it would go anywhere even up trees !as for kawasuki you better buy a tow strap with it you will need it i towed my buddies back 75% of the time!It did have overheating issues though but if your gonna run it thought 5 ft. mudholes what do you expect?

·
Registered
52 Posts

You are right the Outlander is more money but if you use your bike lots and keep it for more than a few years it is well worth the money. If you have the opportunity to ride one or ride with a group of guys who drive the outlanders, you will understand that the money will be well spent. If you do not ride much or want it for around the yard then save your money.
After looking at a new Outlander 400 today, I am seriously considering it over the Popo500HO.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been running Polaris's since 2001, and other than a dirty carb, which was not Polaris's fault obviously, I have not had any problems. They are well built, great running, extremely reliable quads. I don't think any mfgr. has a better 4 wheel drive system, they are the best with racks, and comfortable. I don't know about the "race" style quad and maybe that's what you all are referring to, but so far as a utility 4x4, Polaris is tough to beat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You are right the Outlander is more money but if you use your bike lots and keep it for more than a few years it is well worth the money. If you have the opportunity to ride one or ride with a group of guys who drive the outlanders, you will understand that the money will be well spent.
Hey,

I am wondering if I should go test drive one in the spring, because what you described. I will be doing tons of riding, and want it to be around for a long time.

It will be around $2K more, but only because the 2011 400HO does not come with EBS standard, but the Outty does.

So, you think I should??

2011 Can-Am Outlander™ 400 EFI ATVs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, I did say that, but after looking, reading, and listening to what others have said, maybe the extra is worth it. Oh, only maybe $2K max now.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Polaris

I was a Polaris fan bought 3 and they were great. My freind had a Can Am outlander 1000 xt and was kicking my butt!
I priced the 850 Polaris and the Outlander.
After bumpers and a winch (come with XT) the Can Am was cheaper! My last polaris they charged $700 for factory winch and mounting bracket installed. I bought front and rear bumer about $600 more. Polaris 850 about $10,000
Can Am 1000 xt out the door last Saturday was $11,300 with tax and dealer prep. Polaris was $10,800 out the door without winch and bumpers! I think Polaris makes a good machine, I think Can Am kicks their butts!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was a Polaris fan bought 3 and they were great. My freind had a Can Am outlander 1000 xt and was kicking my butt!
After bumpers and a winch (come with XT) the Can Am was cheaper! My last polaris they charged $700 for factory winch and mounting bracket installed. I bought front and rear bumer about $600 more. Polaris 850 about $10,000
Can Am 1000 xt out the door last Saturday was $11,300 with tax and dealer prep. Polaris was $10,800 out the door without winch and bumpers! I think Polaris makes a good machine, I think Can Am kicks their butts!
Up here the XT seems to be a rip off. They created the DPS package, but still being that I do not want DPS my next quad will be a base Outty 500. Now if the move the 400 over to the G2 chassis, that is al. I really need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slayer, they took you for a ride dude. A 2500 Polaris winch is $400 and requires no extra plate. Bumpers are $330 a set. How do I know??? I sell them. I dont think anybody makes a bad machine. They all have small issues. Only you can decide what is best for you. If power is more important than independant suspension then go for the power. Like I said. I have over 30 years experience with ATV's and ride every model every year. ( thanks to Polaris). HP should not be the most important thing. The total package is what matters. Take the 1000cc Can Am. Sweet looking unit for sure. Lots of raw power. However it isnt worth a crap in the woods in tight areas. Way to lungy. You cant mash the throttle or the front end comes up. Getting the idea? I have sold all of my ATV's except the 2001 Quadrunner 500 and went to all Polaris. The ride, the brushless power steering, the AWD, and fuel economy are best for me. My package deal. You will always find 50 who like a model and 50 who dont. TEST RIDE EACH and CHOOSE for YOURSELF. I did. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I don't know how great Can Am is, my buddy had a Can Am 800 and every time he took it out it he wrecked something and it end up costing him hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I bet in the 2 years he had the machine it cost him double the value of the machine. Admittedly it was obviously a lemon but Can Am refused to stand behind the machine even when it was new and that has left me with such a horrible opinion of them as a manufacturer that I would not touch anything they make with a 10 foot pole.

Not sure why you spent so much on polaris accessories or so little on a CanAm machine. Out the door that would cost you 14 likely closer to 15,0000 here. 850 would run you between 10 and 11. Winch and mount is about 450, bumpers about 175-200 a piece. My freind who had the outlander bought a new Scrambler 850 and even after having to buy extras he will be running with rims and tires, exhaust, clutch kit all that for less than the out the door price of an Outlander 800.

Me I am cheap so I went with a sportsman 800 out the door taxes, freight everything in for $7000, leaves me money for rims tires, bumper and winch and I will still be around $8500.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine was $5,499 plus taxes, quad only, plow, winch, warmers were extra. Best atv for the dollar. I feel good because I did my part to keep an American working, glad I went Polaris.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Polaris

I said I was not knocking Polaris they are good solid machines.
I had lots of good miles on them. I just could not get over the power of teh Can Am. I am 6'2" 255 so I need horsepower to haul my butt around! I never felt I could not keep up in tight woods with my Can Am just the opposite. I definetly know what you mean that the 1000 xt is jumpy! I love it! it launches when you tap the throttle like a beast! It is not for novice riders or for guys that want to use it for work around their property. Polaris is better for that smoother!
Again I would buy a Polaris 850 or a Brute Force 750 without hesitation. Can Am, Polaris or Brute would be happy to ride any of them. 1200 plus miles on my Can Am, greaes and oil changes. Oh yea handle bars since I rolled it. (my fault)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts