ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I need someone who knows about the drive system on my Yamaha. When I put it in forward, I have idle up a bit before the tranny engages, then all is fine, same with reverse. Is there an adjustment or does something need replaced ?

· Registered
518 Posts
Is it a belt drive or a five speed ?

If it's the belt it might be time for a new belt. If it's a manual it might have a worn centrifugal clutch.

Once it's engaged and moving along, does the drive feel solid as usual, or does gunning it make the revs rise more than they should?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a belt drive or a five speed ?

If it's the belt it might be time for a new belt. If it's a manual it might have a worn centrifugal clutch.

Once it's engaged and moving along, does the drive feel solid as usual, or does gunning it make the revs rise more than they should?
It’s a belt drive, the tranny pulls fine, ISSUE in question: From neutral to fwd there’s a lag before it kicks in gear, same in rev, once locked in the tranny pulls as it should. Thanks for your help !

· Registered
518 Posts
No noises ? Clonking say.. like play in a driveshaft or gearbox ? Takes up gently(belt) or harsh(shaft) ? How long is the delay, tiny fraction of a second, or half to one second.. or more. If it's play in a gear or shaft it would take up quick, a belt would probably take a bit longer..

I'm not real familiar with yamahas.. If you describe it carefully some one may recognise it..

Does temp make a difference ?
Is it worse hot or cold ?
What year is it and I'll get a manual and have a look..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a 2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4, as far as a delay between neutral & fwd or rev…as soon as I idle up it goes into gear…if I throttle it a little quick it’ll make a klank. I bought it new and it’s been ridden relatively mild.
I just want to address whatever it is if possible before it becomes a $1000. fix. Thank you !

· Registered
518 Posts
I'll have a read.. You should try and find that clank noise.. that might be the play getting taken up.
Crouch down beside it and carefully blip the throttle while you listen.. with the brakes on and being carefull of course.. haha Or, put your hand on driveshafts and axles and things and feel for the clank..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have a read.. You should try and find that clank noise.. that might be the play getting taken up.
Crouch down beside it and carefully blip the throttle while you listen.. with the brakes on and being carefull of course.. haha Or, put your hand on driveshafts and axles and things and feel for the clank..
Thank you, I’ll those items out tomorrow. I ride a lot in remote areas, generally alone. Don’t need a break down !

· Registered
518 Posts
You could also try twisting the drive shafts suddenly left and right trying to get the noise out of a diff.. Or finding much play. You could dip a bit of oil out of the gearbox and diffs and inspect it for metal. A slight mist of metal is ok, obvious flakes or bits is not good. .

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could also try twisting the drive shafts suddenly left and right trying to get the noise out of a diff.. Or finding much play. You could dip a bit of oil out of the gearbox and diffs and inspect it for metal. A slight mist of metal is ok, obvious flakes or bits is not good. .
It really sounds like the device that locks the tranny in (fwd or reverse) whatever that piece is, feels like it has slop in it. The tyranny and drive shafts doesn’t appear to have excessive wear.

· Registered
518 Posts
You could look up yamaha parts online and have a look what's in the gearbox.. You might get some sence of what might be happening.. Part 15 is what locks the gears to the shafts when you engage gears. It looks like it has a bit of free play in it's engaging dogs.. Dip a bit of gear oil out and check for metal signs. If the oil's clean it's probably nothing to worry about.

Ymf350fav/assemblies/transmission.. I think that will be your model.. Just one speed each direction?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could look up yamaha parts online and have a look what's in the gearbox.. You might get some sence of what might be happening.. Part 15 is what locks the gears to the shafts when you engage gears. It looks like it has a bit of free play in it's engaging dogs.. Dip a bit of gear oil out and check for metal signs. If the oil's clean it's probably nothing to worry about.

Ymf350fav/assemblies/transmission.. I think that will be your model.. Just one speed each direction?
Yup, that’s the one, fwd & rev… I assumed maybe wear in the engagement dogs, but, I’ve not been into a clutch or tranny on a machine like this…was hoping for an adjustment of some type.

· Registered
518 Posts
Ha.. dont we all.. dont we all.
]Even if it's the dogs making the noise, it may not mean they are damaged or defective. They might be the same as they always were, but the centrifugal clutch in the belt sysyem might be getting sticky and grabby.. That's an easyish thing to inspect..

· Registered
518 Posts
You could take the belt cover off and watch how it engages the gearbox pulley.. The revs might build and then suddenly flick the gearbox shaft into turning.. I'd be in there having a look.. but I'm a tutu..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha.. dont we all.. dont we all.
]Even if it's the dogs making the noise, it may not mean they are damaged or defective. They might be the same as they always were, but the centrifugal clutch in the belt sysyem might be getting sticky and grabby.. That's an easyish thing to inspect..
True, it’s been like this a good while, couple years at least. I’m just easy on the throttle till the tranny engages and all is well. If there was a quick check or adjustment I’d have it apart tomorrow. As it sounds, it’s most likely normal wear after 16 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts