ATV Forum banner

Yamaha Moto 4 250 Transmission issues

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Blasterguy 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a Yamaha Moto 4 250 (1989 I think) and it seems to have transmission problems. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I though someone might be able to help me. I think the transmission might be going but there's a few things that confuse me. So 2nd gear doesn't work at all, it's basically neutral, 4th works halfish but it makes a very nasty clattering sound. 1st 3rd and 5th work fine. The part that confuses me is it doesn't make a difference if I'm in low or high, it does the same thing. I guess I thought low and high would be completely different gears?? Maybe I'm just a knobhead when it comes to mechanical stuff like this IDK. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I hope somebody comes along that knows more than me about your problem. I think 2nd and 4th is on the same shaft that in why those two are having problems and the odd number gears are fine. Think the drive gear changes between low and high but the gears in the transmission stay the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.