ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter clutch just works sporatically. Can a senior citizen with average mechanical skills replace the clutch assembly or is it better to forget it and have a shop do it. Also, does it require any special tools. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Starter Clutch

Probably so!! You just need hand tools and the ability to remember where you put stuff. Remove enough of the plastic to get the belt cover off, you will need to pull the front pulley off, remember to not loose the shim (washer), some of the starter clutches I have seen on the 125's were just full of dust and when they were cleaned and lightly greased were perfect to use. Good luck if you haven't already done the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
50bmgshooter:

Thank you for your reply. Because I wasn't sure what I was going to get into removing the belt, etc., and I didn't get a reply on two different forums, I ended up taking it to the shop last week.

I had a CD Manual but it was very lacking on what was involved in getting to the starter clutch. I can afford the shop with no problem but, as you know, often it is much simpler just to do the repair yourself. This is the first time I have had a problem with this 125, other than cleaning the carb bowl a couple of times, which is to be expected.

After reading numerous postings about the 125 starter clutch problem it fit the pattern. Was fine when cold but after engine got hot clutch would not kick in. My wife is a handicap(prosthesis on right leg below the knee) and used the 125 for getting around at our 80 acre get-away place. She got stranded twice - couldn't have that. I already had a 2011 Yamaha 450 with ESP so I just bought her a 2011 Yamaha 350 a couple of weeks ago. We will keep the 125 for the grandkids to ride.

Again, many thanks for answering my post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Starter Clutch

Sorry you didn't get a reply in time. It's really a pretty easy job if you have ever done it once. The sympton you described is the typical failure mode of the little critter. With age and a little dust the lubricant dries up and then the large spring rollers hang up and don't grip the gear wheel. Leaving Ma stuck in the lower 40 is a fast way to live in the dog house, I hope the marks she left on you can be covered with a shirt, just joking. The YFM125 was one of the neatest machines I have ever seen, worked on and and turned Ma loose on, please enjoy it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts